So, you’ve decided that video is an essential piece to your marketing strategy puzzle? Welcome. You are in good company here 😊… you may have heard us talk about the importance of high-quality video (once or twice…) but we have to break it to you: the quality of your video marketing is just part of the picture. The success of your video marketing strategy also hinges on how well your content resonates with the values and beliefs of your audience. Without this key piece of the puzzle, you may end up with a fancy video that looks and sounds great but falls flat without producing the results you’re looking for. Speaking directly to the values and beliefs of your audience is crucial for the success of your marketing strategy.
Here are 5 steps to make videos that speak to your audience’s values:
- Get to Know Your Audience: To create video content that speaks to your audience’s values, you need to understand who they are, specifically. What do they like or dislike? What do they care most about? Conducting market research can help you gain insights into your audience’s demographics, needs, personality and most importantly – their values. This information will be the foundation of your strategy.
- Craft Your Message: Once you have a good understanding of your audience, it’s time to craft a simple and straightforward message that speaks directly to their values and beliefs. This message should be genuine and authentic while staying consistent with your brand values as well, reflecting your company’s culture and mission. This key message is your chance to show your audience that you/your brand understand and care about them and their needs. (Pro tip: Consider if storytelling is the best way to convey your message. A well-told story can be memorable, impactful and pull on your audience’s heart/value-strings! Check out this article for more Storytelling tips.
- Match the Audience’s Expected Production Quality: Once you are clear on your message, it is time to produce a quality video that matches your audience’s expectations. Obviously, the higher the production value the easier it is to capture and keep your audience’s attention. Poor production quality, resulting in low quality audio or video, can distract your audience from your message, reducing the likelihood that they will engage with your content or brand.
- Promote Within the Appropriate Channels: To ensure your audience receives the message you have worked so hard to convey, it is essential to promote your video through the right channels. In other words: you want to meet them where they are. Consider the market research from step 1 to determine their preferred channels and tailor your promotion strategy accordingly. For example, social media is an excellent platform for promoting your video content, as it allows you to reach a large – or targeted – audience quickly. The more your message resonates with the audience, the more likely they are to reshare it.
- Measure Your Success: We are big fans of continuous improvement. Be sure to measure and collect both quantitative and qualitative metrics. Quantitative statistics include views, impressions, and view durations. To get qualitative metrics, pay attention to conversions, likes, reshares, and comments to see how well your video resonates with your audience. If your video is not performing as well as you would like, you can use this information to make improvements and refine your strategy.
As tempting as it may be to skip doing your homework and jump straight to the fun part of producing a snazzy video, remember that the effectiveness of your video hinges on how well your message resonates with your audience. In working with our clients, we have found the pivotal piece to the puzzle is creating content that speaks to the specific audience’s values. By following these helpful steps and partnering with a professional production team to produce excellent quality content, it could mean a world of difference for your results.
Still not sure where to start? VLink Solutions is here to help. We are a full-service video marketing agency that can help guide you through every step of the video content strategy and production process. Let’s connect today and get started.
Search vLink’s Resources, News, and Events
vLink Solutions is always adding new tips and tricks, case studies, infographics, and more.
We asked 11 top event professionals for a widespread view of what works now in hybrid event production—and what needs to happen to make this an effective, long-term event format.